[csw-users] Backup and Restor

Dagobert Michelsen dam at opencsw.org
Fri Mar 2 12:53:29 CET 2012

Hi Markus,

Am 02.03.2012 um 12:41 schrieb Sonnenberg, Markus:
> i was wondering which directories do i have to backup in case i want to switch back to older versions of packeges.

The easiest way is to just get the old version from the package and use
pkgrm/pkgadd. Please see also
  http://www.opencsw.org/community/questions/40/how-to-restore-revert-to-an-older-package-version

> i want to update several opencsw packeges including mysql, perl and php. before that i would like to have a backup which i can easely restore in case something will not work as expected. i don't want to backup the whole system but only the needed directories.
>
> i guess i'll be ok backing up the following directories.
>  /opt/csw
>  /etc/opt/csw
>  /var/opt/csw
>
> is there anything else to conider?

Thats it basically. However, I strongly suggest to moving to ZFS root and using
different boot environments to do this. Making a snapshot takes only a second
and going back is just a reboot away.