[csw-users] list of top level packages?

Wyche, George PW George.Wyche at pw.utc.com
Thu Nov 8 00:27:21 CET 2012

@Dago

> On Behalf Of Dagobert Michelsen
> Sent: Wednesday, November 07, 2012 5:04 PM
> To: Questions and discussions
> Subject: Re: [csw-users] list of top level packages?
>
> Hi George,
>
> Am 08.11.2012 um 00:00 schrieb "Wyche, George             PW"
> <George.Wyche at pw.utc.com>:
> > Here at work no Solaris box is allowed access to the internet. But I do have a
> sparc at home so from there I will play with the above and also that script. *IF* I
> get it all to work, and *IF* I can make the output look nice, I'll report back.
>

> You are aware of the mirrors, right?
>   http://www.opencsw.org/manual/for-administrators/mirror-setup.html
>

> Best regards
>
>   -- Dago

Yes.

I already download catalog and description and packages from a mirror to a folder via this PC. From a sparc I move those to a properly laid out directory tree, have each of the workstations use pkgutil and a properly setup conf file on each one. When a particular workstation needs something, the pkgutil --install blah. Works 99% of the time. The other 1% is because not all workstations are allowed (time allocation to do it) to have the identical Solaris10. Getting a working DVD reader has been harder than I would have guessed AND the authorized time to at least get the last non$1000/workstation Solaris10 installed for those workstations *with* 10 already on them. (And no proper IT guy authorized to do it.)

The only reason I brought this whole topic us was a v_e_r_y parttime IT (not me) reinstalled OS10 on a workstation and wiped out all the CSW package info out of ignorance, but left /opt/csw alone. So that production machine works... just don't know *FOR SURE* what CSW packages all these files belong to.

Now... I am supposed to make packages that depend on CSW packages. Trouble of course happened when I went to install same on that machine. (That is how I found out the above.) I will only be given a little time on that production machine to restore the CSW package information, so I'm puzzling out a couple ideas about how to do that (in my spare time, ha!).

Maybe no(other)body will work on our Thanksgiving holiday and I can do it then.
George