Unable to authenticate users after Samba update

David Hollenberg dhollen at mosis.com
Tue May 3 19:36:57 CEST 2016

I updated CSWSamba from the testing catalog today, on a Solaris 10, Update 10 x86 server.
This caused authentication to the host specified in a "wins server" parameter to
stop working with "permission denied" errors, whereas prior to the update it was working.

I restored the following 2 files from a backup made before the update and
file access via Samba started working again:

    /opt/csw/sbin/amd64/smbd
    /opt/csw/sbin/pentium_pro/smbd

Before the update pkgutil showed

    CSWsamba                  3.6.25,REV=2016.02.08     3.6.25,REV=2016.04.17

(version number is 3.6.25 for both old and new versions).

I'm not a Samba expert.  Can anyone tell me what the problem might be?

I don't know what protocol Samba uses to talk to the domain controller
specified in the "wins server" parameter.  Could removal of SSL2 be the problem?

Dave