[csw-devel] Next build farm...

Frederic Van De Velde fred at opencsw.org
Wed Nov 19 13:41:09 CET 2008

>> I am thinking about installing something ike VMWare ESX server then
>> Sol
>> 8 and 10 in VM.
>
> Solaris 8 x86 won't run on ESX as the needed SCSI driver is not
> available.

ESX isn't free even for non-commercial use, you have also the free
VMware server 2 but it's based on ESX and will probably not support
Solaris 8

>> Other solution is to use Sun xVM server.
>
> Interesting. Have you done anything in this direction?
Not very stable at the moment ... so might be that we have to wait
some times before getting a stable version.

What about using Solaris 8 container in Solaris 10 ?

>> Since we already have a backup farm, it might be intersting to use
>> this
>> installation to setup the ldap back end, and open it for use only
>> when
>> the target architecture will be ready. Once installed and setup
>> modification will be more difficult to do. So better use it to make
>> test
>> when we can. What about this ?
>
> Sounds good. Set up your farm with LDAP, make it active
> than switch over the bo- and go-farms to use the LDAP on
> your (wb?) farm.

Which LDAP server will you use ?
How do you plan to secure LDAP connections ?
Why not to have an LDAP master somewhere and read-only replicas in
each build farms.

If you need help I'm a (Sun) LDAP expert.

Regards,
Frederic.