[csw-maintainers] hooks in pkg-get

Ben Walton bwalton at opencsw.org
Wed Nov 11 02:33:46 CET 2009

Excerpts from Philip Brown's message of Tue Nov 10 16:00:50 -0500 2009:

> yes, I am "planning to".

Ok.

> however, my time is limited, so it may not get done "soon".  There
> is some small chance it may get done this weekend :-} However, there
> are other code changes that pkg-get is needing too, that have higher
> priority.

Understandable.  I'd offer to submit patches, but in this case, I
think having the standard implemented by two separate people would
provide some value.  Anyone else interested?

> > There is already growing use of and demand for hooks, so not
> > having it in pkg-get will present us with some problems...
>
> problems?

Call them like annoyances, I guess.  If William's popularity contest
hooks generate interest, their value will be crippled by only getting
triggered at sites using pkgutil.  It would be of more value to us to
limit our participants like that.

> hooks are supposed to be *optional* things. If people are using
> hooks for package-mandatory things, there is a problem in packaging.

Yes, they are.

Thanks

GPG Key Id: 8E89F6D2; Key Server: pgp.mit.edu
Contact me to arrange for a CAcert assurance meeting.