[csw-maintainers] Filezille, wxwidgets and C++

Peter FELECAN pfelecan at opencsw.org
Thu Jul 4 15:38:18 CEST 2013

Laurent Blume <laurent at opencsw.org> writes:

> On 04/07/13 15:00, Peter FELECAN wrote:
>> I think that the kind of packages as wxwidgets, which are used by many
>> other project should be built with g++. If there is no relevant
>> performance gain building with SS please use g++. We discussed this
>> already, even during the new wxwidgets packaging but there is still
>> reluctance using g++. Can we make a statement about this please?
>
> I think the only question is about the performance of g++ on the sparc
> platform. I don't know if there's still a significant difference
> there.

How can we test the performance on SPARC between programs built with
these compilers?

Have you some references about this issue? Is there a benchmark used to
substantiate it?

> As for switching ABIs: wxwidget is a very good candidate at this point
> since we just rebuilt (and fixed!) all its dependencies, and there are
> not many.

> I propose to try the g++ compatible ABI for Studio on the x86 version,
> and use g++ on sparc (to be switched back to Studio w/ g++
> compatibility when it becomes available). How does that sound?

In what you propose, we still use g++ on the very platform which has a
performance issue and with SS on the platform where g++ doesn't. Why not
go with g++ on all platforms in this case?  Maintenance wise is less
complex, isn't it?
--
Peter