[csw-dev] Multi-ISA GAR

Dagobert Michelsen dam at blastwave.org
Mon Mar 24 23:15:52 CET 2008

Hi Yann,

Am 24.03.2008 um 22:53 schrieb Yann Rouillard:
> Dagobert Michelsen a écrit :
>> Am 24.03.2008 um 20:49 schrieb Yann Rouillard:
>>> I began to convert openssl to the new multi-ISA system, I have two
>>> comments so far:
>>>
>>>     - the default isa install target is fine for standard
>>> programs using automatic-multiarch-compile
>>> the classic configure script but will not work for everything (and
>>>
>>> indeed not for openssl).
>>>     I added a new INSTALL_EXTRA_ISA_SCRIPTS to allow to redefine
>>> the target
>>> used: see http://svn.blastwave.org/trac/changeset/1994
>>
>> This is a good solution for openssl, but I don't believe
>> that there are any more packages built in the same way
>> (correct me if I'm wrong on this). I think it would be better
>> to solve this with
>
> Well, I definitely think there are other packages like openssl,
> don't underestimate the imagination of developpers, althought it
> shouldn't be the majority.
>
> In blastwave, I think at least pine and procmail don't use the
> standard configure, so it would be nicer to be able to handle that
> case without specific tweak.

I am not against flexibility here. What I don't like
is the special meaning of ISA_DEFAULT here. You have
a custom installer, which you could call simply by
overriding the generic installer in your Makefile:

   install-isa-pentium_pro install-isa-amd64: install-isa
     $(DONADA)

If there really is need for the special case I'd like
this to be handled in a more general way working for
all ISAs, not only ISA_DEFAULT.