[csw-maintainers] build requirements

Trygve Laugstøl trygvel at opencsw.org
Wed Dec 17 02:13:54 CET 2008

Ben Walton wrote:
> Excerpts from Trygve Laugstøl's message of Tue Dec 16 19:51:58 -0500 2008:
>> I assume that 3) would lead to requiring me having /opt/csw/gnu first in
>> my path when using git and that is not going to happen.
>
> As far as I've seen at this point, it's simply the test scripts that
> are breaking without gnu sed.  As this shouldn't impact the runtime
> requirements, I don't think there much worry of a permanent dependence
> on gnulinks.

Then both 1) and 3) would be acceptable to me as they would both work
for anyone trying to pick up the package at a later point.

> Option #2 seems like the more technically 'correct' thing to do until
> you consider that the primary development environment for git is a
> completely gnu userland.  At some point, a gnu-ism would creep in
> again requiring more work on our part.  Going with gnulinks seems like
> it's easier all around.  If it ends up impacting dependencies, then
> I'll reconsider.

That is a fair point and and I would say that it is up to you try to
minimize the pain of maintaining a downstream build vs the paint of
getting git work in a non-gnu environment.

--
Trygve