[csw-maintainers] Contents of devel@ list

Trygve Laugstøl trygvel at opencsw.org
Mon Nov 10 17:58:27 CET 2008

Philip Brown wrote:
>>> Where should that information come from?
>>  From the change log file that the maintainer deliver when the .pkg is
>> uploaded :). I know it doesn't exist, but I (as a user) would like to
>> know what has changed when new packages are installed. This is very
>> useful information to browse when looking at the front page and
>> wondering why there is a new package available. In particular for bug fixes.
>
> We had this discussion a year or three ago on the maintainers list.
> Some of the issues were: for one thing, we couldnt agree on whether the
> "upstream" changes should be in this file or not.
>
> I personally would say "not".

Me too, but I would point to the upstream release notes if available.

> and as a side comment, the vast majority of "new packages" are simply due
> to "new version upstream". and the vast majority of csw-side changes, are
> "oops, I made a mistake". Most of which are not really anything the user
> would care about, beyond "ok i'm glad you fixed that dumb thing".

Know if it was only because of a upstream change or a packaging bug
would be nice to know. I know I've made a few releases because of
packaging issues. Most because I'm still new, but I wouldn't mind
knowing it.

 From a PR perspective it will show more precisely what we're doing, but
that you can also read from an atom feed.

--
Trygve