[csw-maintainers] [board] maintainer registration?

Daniel Pocock daniel at pocock.com.au
Thu Aug 27 22:19:52 CEST 2009

Dagobert Michelsen wrote:
> Hi Daniel,
>
> Am 27.08.2009 um 17:52 schrieb Daniel Pocock:
>> Ok, I had a go at this with libConfuse
>>
>> Could you let me know whether this type of thing should be discussed
>> on the board list, the maintainers list or the devel list?
>
> Usually on maintainers@, but you have to post from your opencsw.org
> account
> on the list which you may or may not (Ihsan?) have yet.

I haven't got an opencsw.org account as far as I know - I've tried to
subscribe to that list using my main email address, daniel at pocock.com.au
- I think it is waiting for someone to approve, because I haven't
received the confirmation email yet
>> Anyhow, these are the issues I found:
>>
>> The name confuse and libConfuse is used interchangeably:
>> - web site: http://www.nongnu.org/confuse/ "/libConfuse/ is a
>> configuration file parser library"
>> - tar file is called confuse-2.6.tar.gz, and it extracts to
>> confuse-2.6/*
>> - this is in configure.ac:
>> AC_INIT(libConfuse, 2.6, confuse-devel at nongnu.org, confuse)
>
> Please choose the name of what is in it. If there is only a library in it
> please use CSWlibconfigure for the package and libconfuse for the
> catalog.

When you extract the file confuse-2.6.tar.gz, you get a directory called
confuse-2.6

Therefore, should I call it CSWconfuse (which works), or tweak DISTNAME
and WORKSRC so that the package name can be CSWlibconfuse?
>> I started trying to do
>> gmake newpkg-libconfuse
>> but it broke down at the configure stage, because
>> work/.../libconfuse-2.6 was empty
>
> You can then customize DISTNAME and WORKSRC according to your needs.
> See the FAQ
>   <https://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/gar/wiki/BuildSystemFAQ>
> and the GAR variable reference:
>   <https://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/gar/wiki/GAR%20Variable%20Reference>
>
>> I then did
>> gmake newpkg-confuse
>> and I was able to build it successfully.
>>
>> I also discovered that --enable-shared needs to be specified
>> explicitly for confuse - is this something gar should add by itself?
>
> No, please add
>   CONFIGURE_ARGS += --enable-shared
> in the Makefile.

yes, that is what I did
>> gar didn't include the static library in the package, even though it
>> was built.
>
> Yes, static libs are excluded from packages by default as they are
> generally not used.
> If you need them please set this to empty with
>   MERGE_EXCLUDE_STATICLIBS =
> to include them.

I'm happy to leave out the static library
>> I also decided to add --disable-nls to configure, is this considered
>> good practice, or is it preferred to make everything depend on
>> gettext and friends?
>
> This depends on the package. If there are no negative effects the
> existing
> libs from the OpenCSW should be used to minimize size and to maximize
> reuse.

Because confuse is used by Ganglia, and Ganglia is a performance
monitoring app, I prefer to minimise dependencies.  I will continue with
--disable-nls for now, and maybe it can be enabled in a future release
if people ask for it.
>> Although confuse works on Solaris, the test suite doesn't work out of
>> the box, so I also hacked the Makefile to skip the test phase - is
>> this acceptable for now, or do I need to wait for upstream to merge
>> in changes to the test suite before I can commit something to opencsw?
>
> You can always commit the build descriptions. Before submitting you
> must make sure
> the package works. If you have failing tests you must at least
> understand why they
> fail and document that in the Makefile. Even better is reporting this
> to upstream
> and even better fixing the tests and providing a patch for upstream.

The test code fails to compile because it is not Solaris friendly.  It
is easy to fix.  The library itself is working fine.  I think that I
will put some conditional logic in the Makefile so that it only skips
the tests for confuse-2.6, and when 2.7 arrives, it will be necessary to
re-assess the situation.  I will also send the proposed fixes upstream
for 2.7.
>> I'm now ready to commit my Makefile for this package, but the gar
>> guide doesn't
>> explain how to authenticate - will I be issued with an SVN password,
>> or do I need
>> to reconfigure my svn to work over ssh (using my key)?
>
> No, the repository is hosted at SourceForge. I need your SourceForge
> user name to
> add you to the committers list. A description to the specific commit
> procedure
> for SourceForge is documented here:
>   <https://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/sourceforge/wiki/Subversion>
My Sourceforge username is d_pocock

Thanks for all the assistance with this.