[csw-maintainers] [board] maintainer registration?

Dagobert Michelsen dam at opencsw.org
Thu Aug 27 22:32:30 CEST 2009

Hi Daniel,

Am 27.08.2009 um 22:19 schrieb Daniel Pocock:
> Dagobert Michelsen wrote:
>> Am 27.08.2009 um 17:52 schrieb Daniel Pocock:
>>> Ok, I had a go at this with libConfuse
>>>
>>> Could you let me know whether this type of thing should be
>>> discussed on the board list, the maintainers list or the devel list?
>>
>> Usually on maintainers@, but you have to post from your opencsw.org
>> account
>> on the list which you may or may not (Ihsan?) have yet.
>>

> I haven't got an opencsw.org account as far as I know - I've tried to
> subscribe to that list using my main email address, daniel at pocock.com.au
>  -
> I think it is waiting for someone to approve, because I haven't
> received
> the confirmation email yet

You can not subscribe yourself, only the list admin can do that (Ihsan
in
this case).

>>> Anyhow, these are the issues I found:
>>>
>>> The name confuse and libConfuse is used interchangeably:
>>> - web site: http://www.nongnu.org/confuse/ "/libConfuse/ is a
>>> configuration file parser library"
>>> - tar file is called confuse-2.6.tar.gz, and it extracts to
>>> confuse-2.6/*
>>> - this is in configure.ac:
>>> AC_INIT(libConfuse, 2.6, confuse-devel at nongnu.org, confuse)
>>
>> Please choose the name of what is in it. If there is only a library
>> in it
>> please use CSWlibconfigure for the package and libconfuse for the
>> catalog.
>>

> When you extract the file confuse-2.6.tar.gz, you get a directory
> called confuse-2.6
> Therefore, should I call it CSWconfuse (which works), or tweak
> DISTNAME and WORKSRC so that the package name can be CSWlibconfuse?

As the project describes itself as "libConfuse is a configuration file
parser library"
please call it CSWlibconfuse and libconfuse and tweak the vars.

>>> I also decided to add --disable-nls to configure, is this
>>> considered good
>>> practice, or is it preferred to make everything depend on gettext
>>> and friends?
>>
>> This depends on the package. If there are no negative effects the
>> existing
>> libs from the OpenCSW should be used to minimize size and to
>> maximize reuse.
>>

> Because confuse is used by Ganglia, and Ganglia is a performance
> monitoring app,
> I prefer to minimise dependencies.  I will continue with --disable-
> nls for now,
> and maybe it can be enabled in a future release if people ask for it.

Ok, but as gettext is needed for almost anything you will most
certainly already
have it on the system.

>>> Although confuse works on Solaris, the test suite doesn't work out
>>> of the box,
>>> so I also hacked the Makefile to skip the test phase - is this
>>> acceptable for
>>> now, or do I need to wait for upstream to merge in changes to the
>>> test suite
>>> before I can commit something to opencsw?
>>
>> You can always commit the build descriptions. Before submitting you
>> must make sure
>> the package works. If you have failing tests you must at least
>> understand why they
>> fail and document that in the Makefile. Even better is reporting
>> this to upstream
>> and even better fixing the tests and providing a patch for upstream.
>>

> The test code fails to compile because it is not Solaris friendly.
> It is easy to fix.
> The library itself is working fine.  I think that I will put some
> conditional logic in
> the Makefile so that it only skips the tests for confuse-2.6, and
> when 2.7 arrives, it
> will be necessary to re-assess the situation.  I will also send the
> proposed fixes
> upstream for 2.7.

Great!

>>> I'm now ready to commit my Makefile for this package, but the gar
>>> guide doesn't
>>> explain how to authenticate - will I be issued with an SVN
>>> password, or do I need
>>> to reconfigure my svn to work over ssh (using my key)?
>>
>> No, the repository is hosted at SourceForge. I need your
>> SourceForge user name to
>> add you to the committers list. A description to the specific
>> commit procedure
>> for SourceForge is documented here:
>>  <https://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/sourceforge/wiki/Subversion>
>
> My Sourceforge username is d_pocock

You should be able to commit now.

> Thanks for all the assistance with this.

Sure :-)