[csw-maintainers] Coreutils and CSWgfile

Maciej (Matchek) Blizinski maciej at opencsw.org
Fri Jun 11 19:09:17 CEST 2010

No dia 11 de Junho de 2010 17:55, Ben Walton <bwalton at opencsw.org> escreveu:
> Excerpts from Maciej (Matchek) Blizinski's message of Fri Jun 11 12:49:53 -0400 2010:
>
>> 1. If they are installed, remove CSWshutils, CSWgfile and CSWtextutils
>> 2. Update the local catalog cache
>> 3. Install CSWcoreutils or do an automated upgrade, during which
>> CSWcoreutils will be pulled as a dependency to some other package.
>>
>> In what way having new CSWgfile breaks this?
>
> Say they've got CSWgfile (fileutils) installed.  They update their
> catalog and then install CSWcoreutils.  This is _without_ doing a full
> upgrade, just an install.  As I'll be removing the I between CSWgfile
> and CSWcoreutils, the admin could now see file conflicts between the
> two packages.  It all comes down to _how_ the admin adds
> CSWcoreutils...

I see.  It's the case in which the admin doesn't remove any packages
by hand, but only installs CSWcoreutils.  In this way, the old
conflicting CSWgfile might still be installed.  I don't think it's the
right way to manage packages (mixing packages from old and new
catalogs), but I agree that it might happen in practice.  How about
shipping a preinstall script which detects the version of CSWgfile and
displays a helpful error message when CSWgfile is old?