[csw-maintainers] http://www.opencsw.org/packages/<pkg>: Add GAR build recipe URL to package page?

Philip Brown phil at bolthole.com
Thu Nov 11 18:45:39 CET 2010

On 11/11/10, Sebastian Kayser <skayser at opencsw.org> wrote:
> * Dagobert Michelsen <dam at opencsw.org> wrote:
>> Am 11.11.2010 um 17:53 schrieb Philip Brown:
>>
>> >If not.. varchars suck for performance.

> Side note (out of curiosity): Besides the marginal hits, does it even
> matter? We are not going to search this column, just grab it's value for
> a known package.

having a varchar in a table, torpedoes performance of the ENTIRE TABLE
to some degree. It's irrelevant whether or not you search on it or
not. Good databases tend to do interesting optimizations based on
"I can guarantee that the start of record 'X' is exactly 'Y' bytes
into the file/memory space".

Granted, performance on this table isnt exactly critical now. But as a
matter of good principle, I like to keep things clean and fairly
optimal from the start, rather than have to figure out a year or two
later, "Oh.. gee, I have to go back and straighten this stuff up
now..."