[csw-maintainers] http://www.opencsw.org/packages/<pkg>: Add GAR build recipe URL to package page?

Ben Walton bwalton at opencsw.org
Sat Nov 13 19:35:44 CET 2010

Excerpts from Philip Brown's message of Thu Nov 11 12:45:39 -0500 2010:

> Granted, performance on this table isnt exactly critical now. But as
> a matter of good principle, I like to keep things clean and fairly
> optimal from the start, rather than have to figure out a year or two
> later, "Oh.. gee, I have to go back and straighten this stuff up
> now..."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Program_optimization#When_to_optimize

...Anyway, with either CHAR or VARCHAR, we still need to choose a
maximum length.  With CHAR the MySQL limit is 255.  Without going
outside of portable POSIX ranges for file paths, that should be enough
even in the extreme cases.

If we wanted to allow the svn path to grow to what Solaris would
allow, then a VARCHAR(1023) is required.  I don't think our svn
reference paths will approach this (or at least they shouldn't).

I also think that the common portion of the SourceForge.net URL should
be stripped out of the storage here and appended by php as a
statically defined string in the code.

Thoughts?