[csw-maintainers] proposal

Ben Walton bwalton at opencsw.org
Sat Jun 18 20:51:06 CEST 2011

Excerpts from Philip Brown's message of Sat Jun 18 10:16:48 -0400 2011:

> huh? What's the point of that? we're going to vote on it, why are you
> telling people to do that, AND vote?

Well, if enough members support it before the vote happens, there is
no need for a vote as it will have passed without the formality of
ballot bin.

> It seems like nothing more than a "lobbying" effort to try to bias
> people towards it, rather than just having a clean vote.

The original names can be considered authorship.

Allowing people to sign on now can possibly prevent a vote at all.
The supporters and the one that has signaled intent make up just shy
of 50% of the active members.  If 4 more people support the proposal,
there is no need to vote and we save time.

> > Comments welcome.  Once this has been digested, Phil will write the
> > cons side of the ballot and I'll do the pros.
>
> Ben, I believe that, weeks ago now, you said you would write up
> something on what procedures opencsw would have to amend proposals
> prior to vote.  You have not done that.

Sorry, been busy.  It is on my todo list and maybe I'll work on it
this weekend if I find the time.

> I would like to put forward an amendment to the proposal. Are you
> going to disallow any kind of formal *on-list* amendment mechanism?

Please provide your amendment for public review and get the support of
every currently signed member.  Modifications without the support of
everyone that has already signed off on the current form might
invalidate their support, thus 100% approval for the change.  I don't
think that's unreasonable when you're talking about 33% of the
membership.

Thanks