[csw-maintainers] introducing csw-upload-pkg

Philip Brown phil at bolthole.com
Mon May 9 18:43:00 CEST 2011

On Sun, May 8, 2011 at 6:26 AM, Ben Walton <bwalton at opencsw.org> wrote:
> Excerpts from Philip Brown's message of Fri May 06 17:22:47 -0400 2011:
>
>> There will need to be some kind of auto-triggered dispute policy on
>> this. Otherwise, two board members who collude, can do whatever they
>> feel like to the code, and block votes on issues that they
>> personally are against.
>
> While I don't see this happening in the way you do, all I can say is
> that the board is an elected body.  It will change over time.  Just
> like any government it will make decisions you don't personally like.
> Challenge it at the ballot box the next time around.

People can vote different people into the board, yet still have
unchanged opinions about policy.
This sort of thing leads to the problems in a "representative
democracy": The problem where the elected representatives set up
systems that the people who voted for them, would vote AGAINST, if
given the chance. Except they arent given the chance.

I thought direct democracy is what we were supposed to be aiming for, in OpenCSW

You are essentially setting up "the board", to be the governing body
of policy, rather than direct democracy. Apparently, since they are
"an elected body", this is all right with you, over mandating that
policy be enforcedly fully democratic.

That is potentially an okay way to go, IF people understand
beforehand, that is what is happening.
Seems to me that this sort of change should be scheduled to take
effect at the convening of the next board.
It should then be made clear to the voters, that they are not just
voting for "officers of opencsw", but also the policy governing
apparatus.