[csw-maintainers] introducing csw-upload-pkg

Ben Walton bwalton at opencsw.org
Mon May 9 19:28:29 CEST 2011

Excerpts from Philip Brown's message of Mon May 09 12:43:00 -0400 2011:

> You are essentially setting up "the board", to be the governing body
> of policy, rather than direct democracy. Apparently, since they are
> "an elected body", this is all right with you, over mandating that
> policy be enforcedly fully democratic.

No.  You are perceiving this only.  You misunderstood what the SoB/Ack
was meant to accomplish and extrapolated from there.  My mistake was
not clearly correcting you the first time.

I'm suggesting that changes to checkpkg should require multiple
eyeballs before committing.  Those eyeballs could belong to any person
with commit rights.  Could be 2 board members or 2 random maintainers
or a combination.  The aim here is to see that changes to checkpkg
actually enforce agreed upon policies and removes the 'one person
dictacting policy' you seemed to worry about.  I don't feel that this
is a concern but addressing it doesn't hurt anyway.

Any abuse is easily spotted since changes propagate to the mailing
list.

The above is just a verification process.  Changes to checkpkg (the
enforced tests, anyway) should not be made at whim.  They should agree
with policies decided in the current mechanisms...discussion on the
list and votes when necessary.

Thanks