[csw-maintainers] introducing csw-upload-pkg

Philip Brown phil at bolthole.com
Thu May 12 20:01:49 CEST 2011

On Thu, May 12, 2011 at 12:19 AM, Dagobert Michelsen <dam at opencsw.org> wrote:

> I don't understand all the fuzz about this. The previous workflow looked
> like this:
>
>  pkgsubmissions@ -> Release Manager -> current
>
> The proposed new workflow looks like this:
>
>  csw-upload-pkg -> unstable -> QA Team -> current

Eh? where did this "qa team" get mentioned? I see no mention of any
such "QA team".
What I DO see (reading Ben's original email in this thread), is:

- Automatic, immediate publishing to "unstable".

- Automatic publishing to "current", after 2 weeks and no bugs filed.

There is then an unsubstantiated claim of,
"Users are free to pull from unstable directly (just as they can in
debian), but most will wait for current. "

"most will wait" is unsubstantiated. no-one knows for sure what our
users will do.

Changing tracks a little, it seems that certain people in opencsw are
attempting to pull a "sun".
ie:
  Get rid of all the old-school in-house "QA process", publish
"directly", and let "the internet" magically file bugs and do all the
QA work. and somehow hope that the result is good quality.

Unfortunately, that thought process is awfully similar to the business plan of

1. Create internet startup
2.  ?????
3. PROFIT!!!