alternatives: multiple versions for the same package

Dagobert Michelsen dam at opencsw.org
Fri May 23 09:28:02 CEST 2014

Hi Riccardo,

Am 21.05.2014 um 20:34 schrieb Riccardo Mottola <rmottola at opencsw.org>:
> On Tue, 2014-05-20 at 18:44, Maciej (Matchek) Bliziński wrote:
>> If it gets hard, maybe it makes sense to build just one version for
>> starters. You can give packages names with the future dual build in
>> mind, but only do one build for now. I think it's good to release a
>> simpler set of packages earlier.
>
> Fine, the two packages would be quite similar. Before committing
> something with the wrong name.
>
> Let me understand better and explain.
> 1) I currently have package "x" (that is gnustep-back) and thus it is
> named in my opencsw directory
> 2) one of the modulations needs to be choosen. it is not a feature tha
> tyou can activate, but a choice that you need to make
> 3) as package name do you refer to the actual name in the directory?
>
> that is, I have gnustep-back, that can be built either "xlib" or
> "cairo". There is no "gnustep-back" without this choice.
>
> All remaining packages will depend on either one or the other, you can't
> have both.
>
> Is it now correct to commit gnustep-back? perhaps with a first
> hard-configured version to which we make modulations then work?

I suggest to make one CSWgnustep-back which uses xlib and registers xlib as
alternative. All packages depend on this one. If you want the more elaborate
cairo you install CSWgnustep-back-cairo which just ships the changed files
from the alternatives and these alternatives have a higher precedence than
the xlib one. This is the same way as we do gnuplot. Does this sound reasonable?

Best regards

  — Dago