incorrect warning during check and upload

Peter FELECAN pfelecan at opencsw.org
Sun Apr 19 19:15:10 CEST 2015

"Maciej (Matchek) Bliziński" <maciej at opencsw.org> writes:

>> For the first part of your question:
>>
>> # pkgchk -l -p /opt/csw/bin/isaexec
>> CSWisaexec
>
> I found the corresponding part from the postinstall script:
>
> installf $PKGINST /opt/csw/bin/isaexec f
>
> This is how pkgchk knows which package provides /opt/csw/bin/isaexec.
>
> Some possibilities are:
>
> 1. Try to track down what postinstall does (but how?)
> 2. Modify CSWisaexec to provide a fake pkgmap entry (how?)
> 3. Distribute our own isaexec binary, compiled from external source (Illumos?)
> 4. Write our own isaexec

the fourth possibility seems to me the most adequate; by the way, it's
not rocket science; however, having a look to SUN's c/o Illumos
implementation is worthy as much more cmplete (hah, Alan is here again
but not in the correct sense, consequently is just a bot) than what we
have today.

>> As for the second part, you take the risk to fail Turing's test ;-)
>> But why not, indeed?
>>
>> Anyway, the warning annoys me because there is too much noise already.
>> It warns me about what?
>
> It goes like this:
>
> 1. your package contains a hardlink to a file, and will likely not
> work without it
> 2. it makes sense to check which package provides this file
> 3. we look at pkgmap of all packages to find the right one

yes, I agree

> The warning is generic, it warns you that your package depends on a
> file, but we don't know what to suggest to fulfill that dependency.
> Normally you find out what package that is and you suggest adding it
> as a dependency. But what if you cannot find that package? You display
> a warning.

also agreed; however, this warning can be silenced when the CSWisaexec
will have a map; by the way, I've seen that you just acted in that
direction.

--
Peter