[csw-users] CSWgnome is slower than CSWkde_gcc on SPARC?

rain cip raincip at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 14 02:28:31 CET 2005

Before I start, I just want to say THANKS to the package maintainers.  My installation of
both packages went very smooth.  I was amazed to discover that they had both been integrated into the dtlogin after the installation was completed so all I had to do was to
log out and log back in.  Well done, guys!

My box is a Ultra10/sparcv9 440Mhz with Solaris 9 4/04.  I installed all the patches (180
 in total!) recommended by the Solaris patch manger prior to downloading the two
packages.  The graphics card is Creator 3D (FFB2+).  I set up Xsun to run defdepth at 24.

I implemented all those performance enhancement tips for gnome, i.e. running the Atlanta
theme, using window frame, no icon in the menu, and etc.  Still, the gnome appears to
run much slower than CDE in terms of graphics rendering and input response.

I had the kpersonalizer set up the performance meter right in the middle when setting up
 the KDE.  Boy, this kde_gcc 3.3.1 package just rocks!  Graphics rendering and input
response is comparable to that in CDE, considering my CDE only uses the window frame
mode.

It appears to me that the CSWgnome package does not take full advanage of the graphics
 accelerator.  The CSWkde_gcc package on the other hand uses every bit of it.

raincip

http://mail.yahoo.com