[csw-users] FAM and Solaris 10

Alex S Moore asmoore at blastwave.org
Tue Jun 21 21:56:00 CEST 2005

Chad Kellerman wrote:
>   I was just wondering if anyone else has run into this issue with other
> Solaris 10 packages, and if so, are they supported?  Should bug reports
> be filed.

Certainly supported and I use courier_imap and fam all of the time.
True, Solaris 10 may have been built after the last CSWfam package, but
it works fine.  Occasionally, a bit of tweaking may be needed for
Solaris 10.  Feel free to create a bug report if you think that
something should be considered.

The following applies to the host for courier_imap.

1) After installing FAM, you should have a line like the following in
/etc/inetd.conf:
#  fam, the File Alteration Monitor, http://oss.sgi.com/projects/fam/
sgi_fam/1-2 stream rpc/tcp wait root //opt/csw/bin/fam fam

The comments in /etc/inetd.conf tell you what to do, i.e., run inetconv.

2) /etc/rpc needs a line as follows and may be put there by the CSWfam
install:
[root at sws602 ~]# grep fam /etc/rpc
sgi_fam         391002  famd    #File Alteration Monitor

3) Check that fam is available as follows.  If not, send sighup to the
inetd process.
[root at sws602 ~]# rpcinfo -p |grep fam
     391002    1   tcp  32808  sgi_fam
     391002    2   tcp  32808  sgi_fam

4) Additionally, you should have the following enabled and online:
[root at sws602 ~]# inetadm |grep fam
enabled   online         svc:/network/sgi_fam_1-2/rpc_tcp:default

5) Restart courier_imap and verify that all is ok.

Alex