[csw-users] subversion client package

Cory Omand comand at blastwave.org
Wed Apr 18 18:33:03 CEST 2007

On 4/18/07, Mark McCoy <realmcking at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey all, does anyone else see the need for a statically compiled client-only
> package of subversion that depends only on the necessary bits to enable
> client functionality?
>
> We are thinking about subversion as both a source code as well as a system
> configuration change management tool, but I will have a tough time getting
> our management to install blastwave + tons of
> apache/openldap/kerberos/whatever libs and binaries on all
> of our servers.  Heck, getting blastwave on all of the servers would be a
> big hurdle to overcome!
>
> We are also thinking about mercurial as an alternative.  python + hg is a
> much smaller footprint, and unfortunately we can use SMC packages to achieve
> that and stay within our current SOP's :(

Hi Mark,

I put in a couple of weeks of effort trying to get a static compile
together for use at my last company.  Unfortunately, it is very
difficult to get such a large tool chain compiled statically.  From
what I experienced, the best way to do this is to compile subversion
without ra_dav functionality, which would mean no repository access
over http/https, limiting you to file:// or svn:// (svnserve)
repositories.

So, in short, we could provide a static subversion client, but it
would be severely hobbled.  If that's a problem, e.g. you (like many
others) expect to access DAV repositories, then static is not an
option.

Regards,
Cory.