[csw-users] Openssh upgrade problem under Solaris 10 for next package

Yann Rouillard yann at pleiades.fr.eu.org
Mon Aug 20 18:14:31 CEST 2007

> Also .. I'll watch for you post to announce and if we can make a nice easy
> README then I'll get it on the homepage as well as on a static permanent
> page on the site like so :
>
>    http://www.blastwave.org/articles/BLS-0043/index.html

That's a good idea.

> I will test the OpenSSH packages on Sparc for both Solaris 8, Solaris
> Nevada ( Express Release 64a ) as well as Solaris 10 at Global Zone and
> non-global zone.  I would think that we can create a test matrix that shows
> what was tested, on what platform and who did the test :

To me, the package maintainer was responsible for testing his packages, but:

	- Additional tests are always a good thing, especially for a package like openssh.

	- it's not always easy to have access to all setup (os, zone setup, or amd64 for 64 bits binaries/libraries).

So I definitely welcome these additionnal testings.

Another nice idea would be that maintainer have access to a set of
machines with all configuration that should be tested, and where they
can install and test their packages. Theses machines would need to be
easily restored to the original state.
Virtualization would definitely help here (qemu ?).

> WARNING : ASCII table
>
>  ---------+----------------+--------------------+------------------
>  software | Solaris 8      |  Solaris 10 Global | Solaris 10 Zone
>  ---------+----------------+--------------------+------------------
>  openssh  | Sparc: dclarke |  Sparc: dclarke    | Sparc: dclarke
>           |  x86 :         |   x86 : dclarke    |  x86 : dclarke
>           |                |  AMD64: dclarke    | AMD64: dclarke
>  ---------+----------------+--------------------+------------------

I think amd64 tests are only useful if 64 bits libraries/binaries are
provided, that's not the case for openssh.

I already tested Solaris 9 sparc and Solaris 10 x86 (no zone).

> Something like that but with Solaris Nevada Developers Release thrown in
> also as I thik that is an important release to test on. That should be build
> 70a to be released by Wed this week.
>
> Anyone have anything add?  Like *what* the test would consist of on each
> platform and release. Perhaps large file scp and many small files scp and
> then just good old ssh with aes256-cbc block ciphers and things like that.
>
> Thoughts ?

I personnally test login to/from, scp to/from, sftp to/from and as the
package provide a daemon, start/stop and upgrade from previous version.

Yann