[csw-users] Why support Solaris 8 onwards?

James Lee james at blastwave.org
Wed Sep 12 11:17:00 CEST 2007

On 9/12/07, 6:35:06 AM, Anil Gulecha <anil.verve at gmail.com> wrote regarding
[csw-users] Why support Solaris 8 onwards?:

> I was wondering why blastwave supports solaris 8 & above, and not 10
> and above?

Because people including myself have Solaris 8 systems.

> Perhaps I'm uneducated as to the number of actual users of
> 8 & 9.

As a Solaris user yourself I hope you appreciate the efforts Blastwave
makes to support minority computer users.

> Also when the packages are created for 8, what does one lose (or
> rather not gain)? As in does using solaris 8 as the base not allow
> some available good technologies in solaris 10?

Very little difference in the main.  Solaris 8 programs work in zones
and on ZFS.  There are a few differences but you will find in most
cases these are factored in to the base Solaris 8 package, eg,
SMF install classes and AMD64 binaries.  Ie, The Solaris 8
packages have features for S10.

> If yes, has a 10 and above repository been considered?

It exists.
Watch and you will see pkg-get take from a subdirectory for your
arch.

James.