[csw-users] mesalibs mglu versus glu

James Lee james at opencsw.org
Mon May 17 18:39:01 CEST 2010

On 22/04/10, 20:31:05, "Wyche," George PW <George.Wyche at pw.utc.com> wrote
regarding [csw-users] mesalibs mglu versus glu:

> I compiled a c program against (sparc) /opt/csw/lib/libGLU.so which left
> numerous, suspicious undefined symbols all starting with mglu. I spent
> some time looking around the internet and this is not an uncommon
> problem, but I do not understand how I can solve it.

> None of the messages went into detail about the nature of the problem,
> but nearly all solutions had to do with modifying the ***library***
> makefile, taking that solution out of my ballpark. Things like
> glu.exports glu.exports.in mangle.h were mentioned. There were mumbles
> that the mglu... were meant to be internal library references, but
> somehow our Solar loader (and other unix loaders) sees them as
> unsatisfied externals and won't make my executable.

Sorry to take so long but I've failed to get a solution to my
satisfaction however a do have a solution so read on.

The mglu prefix is a feature that allows linking to both mesa and the
/usr/lib OpenGL at the same time.  Unfortunately the distribution is
flawed in that is adds these references via a linker map even when we
don't want them.  I've rebuild mesa 7.6.1 with a map file fix and it
is in http://mirror.opencsw.org/testing.html.

Mesa is now 2 versions higher but neither compiles cleanly and I've
reached the point where I won't be spending any more time on these
releases, either 7.10 or my application needs to be better.

James.