[csw-users] non-root user

Brian Tingle brian.tingle.cdlib.org at gmail.com
Fri May 28 20:18:37 CEST 2010

Hi,

I have a question about http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/gar/wiki/GarSetup

I’m an application owner/developer who works on solaris environments where I
do not have root and the sysadmin has some sunfreeware packages installed
but I always have to compile my own versions of a lot of packages.  I want
to use GAR “standalone” to manage packages I build in my application
directory so I don’t have to type wget; tar –zxf; ./configure –prefix...;
make ; make ; make over and over again for each package I build, I want to
automate the entire build process.

Do I need to manually build all the packages I would get with CSWgardevel
 into my /app/opt/csw directory (or at least any that are not already in my
build environment) to bootstrap the world?

I have /opt/SUNWspro/bin/cc will that work or will I need to get SOS?

Any advice on how to use GAR in this mode, or am I barking up the wrong
tree?

Cheers, -- Brian