[csw-users] NFS shared /opt anyone?

Gary Algier gaa at ulticom.com
Fri Oct 8 03:43:42 CEST 2010

Ben Walton wrote:
> Excerpts from Ben Walton's message of Sat Oct 02 21:57:12 -0400 2010:
>
> Hi All,
>
>> So, if you're sharing a single install point of CSW packages over
>> NFS, we'd love to know.  It would also be interesting to know if
>> you've recently abandoned this approach for machine-local /opt.
>
> *crickets*...So..nobody is still doing this or nobody wants to admit
> it?  :)
>
> Private replies are fine too.  We really are interested in knowing
> whether sites are still doing this.  So far I've had only a single
> (negative) response.  Thanks Joseph!
>
> Thanks
> -Ben
> --
> Ben Walton
> Systems Programmer - CHASS
> University of Toronto
> C:416.407.5610 | W:416.978.4302

I don't do the NFS mounts any more, but I do something similar.  I have
tried to share /opt read only via loopback mounts from a Solaris global
zone into a sparse zone.  If I can make it work, it can save a lot of
space.  Unfortunately not all packages work well with sparse zones.

--
Gary Algier, WB2FWZ          gaa at ulticom.com         +1 856 787 2758
Ulticom Inc., 1020 Briggs Rd, Mt. Laurel, NJ 08054  Fax:+1 856 866 2033

Nielsen's First Law of Computer Manuals:
     People don't read documentation voluntarily.