chkpkg and soname-unused

Yann Rouillard yann at pleiades.fr.eu.org
Mon Nov 4 21:13:15 CET 2013

Hmm, that's really strange.
The linker detects that the library is not required but still keeps it.
It doesn't happen for every library. I added -lssl on the command line and
the libssl library was properly removed from the dependencies.

The debug messages from ld are:

debug: file=libnsl.so.1  unused: does not satisfy any references; retained:
compensating for insufficient dependencies
debug: file=libintl.so.8  unused: does not satisfy any references;
retained: compensating for insufficient dependencies
debug: file=libssl.so.1.0.0  unused: does not satisfy any references;
discarded

I am still looking for the reason.

Yann