svg problem during cairo build

Peter FELECAN pfelecan at opencsw.org
Fri Jun 26 11:12:34 CEST 2015

Dagobert Michelsen <dam at opencsw.org> writes:

> Even minor version bumps turn out to be porting projects
> lately. Please read my analysis about the problem at
> http://lists.opencsw.org/pipermail/maintainers/2015-January/019611.html

Dago's analysis is so right, as usual. Some core open source projects
advance with such a speed that we, as a small community, small in
contrast to Debian or similar, have much difficulties to follow.

As an aside, this is why, I think more and more that, the road that
Nexenta had taken, to use Debian packaging tools on Solaris is the one
with the most momentum. Using the Solaris kernel and inner core tools,
such as ZFS, zones, &c, with the Debian user space. However, even this
road is not a smooth one as the biggest part of the open source projects
are geared toward GNU/Linux. with its idiosyncrasies, and portability is
less and less taken care of.

To come back to the original subject, when packaging for a project such
as Cairo, is quite nominal to encounter issues which arise from the
porting side, not only of the project itself but also from the near to
far environment.
--
Peter