[csw-users] Problems with gnome

Paul Boven p.boven at chello.nl
Sun Jun 25 12:23:42 CEST 2006

Hi everyone,

After using Gnome-FCS on Solaris 9 for ages, I tried to move to a more
recent Gnome version on my Solaris 9 B100 yesterday.
I did a pkg-get -upgrade, and then pkg-get -install gnome.
Unfortunately, that Gnome doesn't work for me: Whenever I start any of
the gnome applications in /opt/csw, they eat up all memory and my
machine grinds down to unusability. Truss reveals that this happens
while they are reading the font directories.
It's not a particular font that causes the problem: removing fonts just
makes the error occur on another font.
I've also created a new user as a test, to see if old gnome config files
might be the trouble, but that gets the same result.
My path starts with /opt/csw/bin, and there's no LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

Are other people experiencing similar problems with gnome? Is this a bug
in the current blastwave gnome distribution, or is there anything else I
should be checking on my end?

Regards, Paul Boven.